Thursday, August 7, 2014

Circus circus

We started our family KI extended stay on Thursday, July 31. I took Sophie and Neil up with me and then Bonnie and Anna joined us later that evening. The plan was for me to stay through into early the following week so we could all attend the annual Kelly Miller Circus.

The typical mayhem ensued with the kids being excited and staying up way too late. The little man did not fall asleep until like 2:00 am!

The weekend led into Circus week and lil Neil's new favorite pastime is riding any/all exotic/wild animals! Here are some choice photos...

The girls before the circus and lil Neil and me during the circus - elephant rides!

The kids on a camel

Happy guy on a pony

PROGRESS:
Cottage progress is steady and every weekend now it seems that the casual modern beach theme continues to take shape and evolve.

Thursday night, I had to do some type of work because sitting around idle is just not an option for me. Since most of the main room painting was complete, I started hanging the oars/paddles on the peak of the main wall. It was late and time for bed.


Friday morning, I wanted to work on the new over sized drum shade pendant for the dining area. We ordered this fixture from Overstock.com for a great price, but you don't know what you have until you open the box and get your hands on the product. Needless to say, this is a slick looking fixture and matches the semi-nautical theme as well. Super sweet.

Dining table large drum-shade fixture 

Saturday morning, I had to get rolling on the new floor. We chose a resilient vinyl tile plank with click-lock and hand scraped detail. This is a fantastic product that is not only looks great, but is super durable (50 year warranty) and water-resistant. Anna helped me quite a bit getting started. I worked on the floor for the next two days...

 Anna, my flooring assistant

I had to take the day off on Monday from flooring for two reasons... it was Circus day and I was extremely sore from bending and working at floor level.

Flooring progress - Sunday, Aug 3 thru Tuesday, Aug 5

Monday, before the circus I managed to hang two ceiling fans. The electrical still needs to be hooked up but I wanted to at least get them in place. Again, we ordered these online and did not know how they would look. These are 3-blade, brushed nickel, with no light kit on 24 inch down rods. Love 'em. Perfect fit.

 Twin ceiling fans hung

Tuesday, I got rolling on the floor again. I was able to finish the floor in the main bath which allowed me to be able to install the toilet. I have to say, I am actually giddy about successfully installing another toilet with no plumbing issues.

Main bathroom flooring and new toilet installed - looking great!

Holy frijole, I managed to get a ton of work done this trip!

Next steps:
  • Work on the floor
  • Bathroom sink and vanity
  • Touch-up paint

No comments:

Post a Comment