Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Another summer weekend on the island

I met the family up on the island on early Friday night. Although, I had a short week coming off a few vacation days, I really missed my crew. Saturday I worked on the main bath vanity installation while Bon and the kids went to the beach.

View looking west from the ferry

Sunday morning we finally got a chance to launch Sophie's model rocket at the Kelleys Island ball field. Check-out the photo below. I let lil Neil push the launch button and he was thrilled!

Rocket launch - maiden voyage

Progress continues...

I worked on installing the main bath vanity, sink top and fixture. The vanity and sink top were easy and fit the space with no problem. The fixture fits perfectly and looks great also. Next step was to test the supply hot/cold lines. I had to open the valves from the main PEX manifold like I have for every other fixture in the cottage. To my dismay, the open cold water line started spraying out water right at the source as soon as I turned the PEX valve. Crap! Small panic attack! Is the PEX manifold bad? If so, then I am screwed! This is the main plumbing artery system to the whole cottage... Obviously, immediate next steps are to shut off the valve and begin troubleshooting. I had to find all of the PEX manifold crap that I had put away in the attic last year. I found the secret wrench and took apart the problematic valve. Amazingly, I found that the plastic ring that acts as a seal was pinched wrong and had a noticeable dent in the side. Like a needle in a haystack, I found two spare plastic rings. Now, the trick was to get one of these back in place properly and tighten up the whole thing nice and neat. Attempt #1, fail. Water spraying. Just re-pinched the new plastic ring again. Only one more try or this project would be delayed until next weekend (or maybe longer). Attempt #2, success. PEX manifold "kicks azz" as expected! Time to move on to the drain plumbing...

The wall drain was 2 inch PVC and I needed get this to 1 1/4 plastic p-trap. I got everything in and looking good, tested for leaks, no problem. I checked every hour or so just to see if any leaks appeared. Early Saturday evening I noticed a few drips coming from where the threaded drain stopper tube meets the tail piece. Very odd place for a leak. Anyway, tired of messing with it, so I will work on fixing later. For the record, plumbing sucks.

Main bath room, vanity, sink top and fixture

I continued to lay down more flooring and was able to finish Sophie's room and more of the main room leading into the bar/kitchen/dining area. I think I am > 60% complete with the floor so far. I only have about 22 boxes left of flooring and I still need to complete the kitchen, dining, master bed room and master bath. I don't think I have enough material.

Here is a cute photo of my first baby girl who managed to steal my phone to take many many pictures of herself.
Anna selfie

Next steps:
  • Keep working on the floor
  • Fix the main bath vanity plumbing
  • Paint fixes

No comments:

Post a Comment