Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Solo - "Rockin' the Rock"

Not much exciting to report. I spent the entire weekend painting as much as humanly possible. I ended up using about 7 gallons. At any given time, I had 1-3 brushes and 1-2 rollers with alternating paint cans/colors open. Plus, I kept the drywall mud flying as well. I would mud over any spots that I needed to fix and try to sand them before or between coats of paint. Big fun. Big mess.

After getting a late start on Friday, I began painting Neil's room and finished around midnight. Here is a photo, although the room really looks much better onsite live.

Neil's room painted
 
Friday night, I was determined to keep rolling. I worked into the wee hours of Saturday morning up until about 3:30 am working on assembling Neil's new bunk bed. I can't wait for the little guy to finally have a real bed in the cottage. He will love it! 

Neil's new bunk bed

Saturday morning, I got a late start because I needed to catch-up on some sleep lost staying up late the night before. Next on the list was our master bedroom. This is the largest bedroom, but had the least amount of drywall/mud fixing needed. Again, not the most exciting photo, but it looks great live.

Master bed room painted
 
Saturday night, I was thoroughly sick of painting and I needed to leave the premises of the "work camp" to get some fresh scenery. I took Chris's golf cart downtown to check-out the music festival underway. After some good live cover tunes, a few Dortmunders and a pile of fresh hummus, it was time to head home. Not too much fun really at a music festival by yourself. Although, I will be looking forward to attending this next year (with some family and friends) because the vibe was very cool.
 
 1st Annual Rockin' the Rock

Sunday morning, although semi-disgusted with the thought of more painting... I had to push forward and crank out Sophie's room. Sophie's room was next on the "to-do" list. Here are some before and after photos.

 Sophie's room photos - trimmed and then finished

I wanted to get the trim and rolling done around the kitchen counter tops because they needed to be oiled up again with butcher block treatment. So after painting the walls (very carefully) and removing the blue tape I layed on a heavy coat of the the butcher block oil/wax. This protects the surface and makes the counter tops look much richer and brings out the natural wood grain, etc.

Most recent kitchen photo
 
The painted rooms do not come across that great in theses photos. However, this was a nice chunk of painting that that I was able to finish over the weekend. Unfortunately, I need about 1 & 1/2 more similar weekends to finish up.

Projects completed:
  • Neil's room painted - done
  • Neil's bunk bed assembled and mattresses set-up - done
  • Sophies room painted - done
  • Master bed room painted 90%
  • Main room painted 25%
  • Kitchen counter tops oiled up again
Next steps:
  • More painting
Looking forward to this weekend for a long Fourth of July weekend with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment