Thursday, May 28, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend!

What a great way to spend the long holiday weekend with the family. So happy that we can be together comfortably in the cottage - FINALLY. Five years of working on this place, I am ready to do some furnishing.

Thursday night I got to the island on a late ferry with the media center and new sleeper sofa ready for action. Of course, this was from IKEA, I had to fully assemble.

Comfort zone - in progress

Done

Since the deck project is the next big thing planned for early June, I needed to get all of the lumber to the island. So, the major goal of the weekend was to pick-up all the deck wood from Menards in Sandusky. Thanks to Chris for letting me use his enormous trailer we were able to move all this lumber in two trips over two days. Nothing is easy or cheap on the island!  

Chris and Tim - loading the trailer

I did load some stuff on my truck, but it would have taken me probably 10 trips if I had to do it all myself.

My truck loaded with some lumber and concrete

I put all the hand rail spindles and concrete mix in the shed to keep dry. Funny, the grass looks super patchy in this photo.

Concrete mix to be stored in shed


Here is all the deck lumber. This photo is very deceiving, because it appears as a small amount, but this is a serious collection of heavy materials ready to be transformed into a 3 sided, two-tiered, wrap-around deck. Remind me to never deliver deck wood again...

Deck wood ready

Bonnie and the kids had fun while I was making trips off-island to Menards and back. We did manage to sneak away to the new KI Cantina (my new favorite joint). Great fresh-made mojitos and margaritas.

Bonnie and me - KI Cantina

Monday morning at the cemetery the local VFW hosts a ceremony every year for Memorial day.

lil' Neil and the fam with Triston Link (Captain Ron's son) from the US Coast Guard

the small boy

Later on Monday evening it was time to head home. Here is Sophie and Neil playing on the beach waiting for the ferry.

Sophie and Neil

Cottage next steps:

  • Fill all remaining nail holes in trim
  • Paint the doors
  • Install lock sets
  • BUILD DECK!

Other Big News...
The Cleveland Cavaliers are headed to the NBA Finals starting next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment