Monday, June 2, 2014

Sophie weekend

Sophie came along with me for the weekend since Bonnie and Anna had to go to Michigan for Anna's school field trip on Friday. Sophie hung out with Christina from next door the entire weekend. I let her eat (or not eat) whatever she wanted for three days, for real. Little Sophie is a trooper and was fun to hang out with...

To kick-off my island trips, I literally bring a "truckload" of stuff and this weekend was no different. Earlier Friday, I stopped by Sears to pick-up the new Electric range and refrigerator. We backed the truck up to the front door so we could slide the appliances from the tailgate into the cottage. Good work.

Back it up to the door
 
Every weekend, I try to make as much progress as physically possible. But having a full size working fridge is a real nice milestone.
 
New refrigerator - friggin' sweet

Friday night I started on the attic access doors. I already had the doors built but I needed to hang some hinges on them and make them work in the attic doorway space. Hinges are quirky and a little unforgiving. You have to screw them in perfectly level or the doors won't swing open or close as expected. Plus once you start drilling the hinge holes, you can't undrill or move them. Anyway, I got the hinges mounted to swing to the inside, very minimal and functional. The next morning, I cut the trim and installed a simple barrel bolt from the inside to keep the left door in place.

Attic access door work-in-progress and finished product

Saturday, after finishing up the attic access doors, I started on the cottage sign installation. Bob had made the sign for us a few seasons ago, but I wanted to wait until I had the lot in good enough shape to finally make it permanent. As usual, this took longer than expected

First, I didn't have long enough 4x4 posts. Luckily, Chris has an extra post that he had to track down that someone actually borrowed and didn't use - weird. Next, I had to dig the holes and set the posts in quickcrete. As you may recall, my least favorite thing is digging holes especially in rock hard soil that is 50% stone filled (Sheesh). Tricky part was to determine the natural height and position of the posts to be in harmony with the size of the sign and the cottage. Last, I cut the top piece and mounted the sign. The whole project took 1/2 the day but the results look awesome!

"Our House" cottage sign and Sophie
 
On Sunday, I finished painting the chalkboard wall and then primed - the bar nook, utility room, remaining kitchen and other missing touch-up throughout. 
 
Next steps...
  • Trim-out the chalkboard wall
  • Install the closet organizers for both Sophie and Neil's room
  • Start the drywall remediation that has been exposed by the priming
  • Paint the main bathroom

No comments:

Post a Comment