Monday, May 12, 2014

Kitchen cabinets - part 3

I made my weekly trip to Menards on Friday to pick up the remaining cabinets, cabinet trim panels and sink drain. I met Brad at the ferry dock and we made the 4:30 pm boat. The plan was to install the: trim panels, cabinets, cabinet hardware, sink, sink drain, and sink plumbing. I also brought up three bar stools for assembly and use with the new bar.

Friday night, we custom cut and fit the white trim panels to the unfinished cabinet backs. The finished look is great but I still need to add wood trim to hide all the small nail holes used to hang the panels. Next, I really wanted to install the kitchen sink, but the mounting clips included were not long enough because of the thickness of the butcher block counter top. So, I will need to order longer clips and wait until next weekend. Moving on, we hung the "over appliance" cabinets.

Saturday morning, we hung the remaining upper cabinets and I started on the cabinet hardware. I chose stainless steel bar pulls (three inch center to center mount). These are polished to look like brushed nickel but have the utility of stainless steel. The color and style match the bar mounts perfectly. Very clean, simple, modern lines. Nice.

Finally, I added the first coat of butcher block oil/conditioner to the counter tops. This makes them look wet and gave them a much needed protective finish. I'm thinking they will need 2-3 more coats.

Kitchen progress - looking good!
 
"Big Bad Brad" made some good progress and primed two rooms between cigarette breaks. Although it rained most of the day on Friday, Captain Ron was able to do some site work later on Saturday afternoon by spreading out some of the remaining dirt piles and leveling some high and low spots. Here are a few photos of the progress... 

Front yard graded

Side yard graded

Sunday was Mother's Day, so Brad and me packed up early and hit the 10:00 am ferry to head home.

Bonnie and the kids are coming up next weekend. I can't wait to show them the progress. Very happy with the kitchen so far and looking forward to spending some time on the island with the family.

Next steps:
  • Install kitchen sink (and related plumbing)
  • Install custom lower wine rack (and build custom shelf) for the bar cabinet/nook
    • Long story short, I already put in these cabinets and do not like the results. Yes, this is unnecessary re-work (my bad)
  • Prime the remaining rooms
  • Have some fun

No comments:

Post a Comment